How To Fix Cracked Tires (Dry Rot Prevention)
The car or bike has become a basic need for daily use. Whether you want to go to your office or enjoy a hangout, you need one of them. But these things require maintenance. Significantly, the tires are the significant parts of any locomotory object.
You can drive your car or run your bike if any part gets damaged, but you cannot move it if you have damaged the tires. The first things that hurt the tire are the cracks and circular holes that develop on the surface.
But you don’t need to blame yourself for it because everything has a lifespan. Whether you have purchased the tires made of original rubber or synthetic rubber, they will be unable to move your vehicle one day.
But to extend their period, you can fix the damage and heal the cracks by yourself. No one wants to spend money on expensive and overcharging mechanics for these small tasks. Hence, we are guiding you in this post on how can you fix the cracked tires?
How to Fix Cracked Tires?
Why do tires crack?
Indeed, it is a very valid and genuine question to ask! If you are using the tire with great care and driving your vehicle very smoothly on the lovely and clean road, what is the reason behind the cracking of tires? Indeed, some factors have led to this condition of your tire about which you are unaware! The significant factors that play their role in the dry rotting of the tire are as follows:
High Temperature of the Environment:
A high temperature of the environment, around 45-48 degrees Celsius, leads to the melting of tires. Although synthetic tires have a high tolerance to heat, daily exposure can cause a decrease in the life span and durability of tires. And we may also call it weather cracking.
Although ozone is a protective layer around the earth and protects the planet from harmful UV radiation, its presence is hazardous for humans and other things also as it reacts with the elements and chemicals present in the tires and starts the decomposition of the tires. The elements chemicals present in the tires include Carbon and waxes, and in the case of synthetic rubber, some additional agents are used to enhance the quality.
Have you bought a cheap tire to save your money? Then it may be the reason that the tire was not long-lasting. The quality and price are directly proportional. To ensure high-quality material, you need to spend some money. So be careful in purchasing the tire. Otherwise, it is useless to cry over spilled milk.
You have a fixed time duration that you take your car for a wash and its maintenance, including the oil-changing and tuning. But you forget to spend some of your dollars on the care of the tires. The tires also need maintenance. In case of neglect, then you may run cracked tires on the roads.
Duration of Tire:
As we have described the term life span, the tires also have a fixed duration to perform the maximum. After that duration, the quality and efficacy of the tire start reducing. And the tire cracking is the central symbol that you need to replace your old and overdue tire.
You have discontinued the car and have parked it in your garage. It will lead to the engine’s sealing and lead to the appearance of cracks and patches on the tire surface. The only thing that you can ensure is to preserve the tires by using preservative agents.
What are the Symptoms of Cracked Tires?
Yes, you need to find out if your tire needs any repair or you need to replace it. And for that purpose, you need to diagnose the cracking of tires. But how can you identify the problem if you don’t know about the symptoms? Don’t panic as we will point out the signs that will clear your concept whether your tire needs replacement or repair:
- The appearance of the patches on the surface of the tires and small hole development at the sidewalls is a significant symbol of tire cracking.
- The skin of the tire starts peeling off. The black thread-like elastic fibers will detach from the tire.
- The flexibility of the tire rubber also reduces, and it appears discolored.
What are the effects of Dry Rotted Tires on The Vehicle?
If you are driving your bike or car with a patched, dry-rotted tire on the road, then there are not only the chances of car damage, but you are also risking your life because of the following reasons:
- Your car may go out of your control, and it can become challenging to handle it. You cannot gradually increase your speed or apply emergency brakes in case of need.
- Moreover, the tire can burst at any time, and you may face any severe accident.
- There also chances of tire punctures or air expulsion from the tire while you are on a long-route journey and there is no car mechanic near you.
Hence these are the consequences of using a cracked tire.
How to prevent tires from cracking?
Don’t you want that your tires to get cracked? Well, we are guiding you about the preventive measures that will save your money without any complexity. So here is the guide about the prevention of tires from cracking:
- Park your car in a shady area. Avoid parking your vehicle under the dazzling sun.
- Ensure the monthly maintenance of the tires.
- Change the tire if it’s old.
- Avoid rough driving. Try to drive on smoother roads.
- Spend some money on buying premium quality tires instead of purchasing cheap tires.
Steps to Fix Cracked Tires:
There are two types of damage and cracks on tires. We have different methodologies for both air-leakage kinds of problems. We are describing the method of internal damage and crack repairs first.
For Internal Repair:
- To repair the internal damage, the steps that you have to follow are as follow:
- First, you need to cool down the tire and then check the cracks.
- Then you have to remove the tire from the car or bike by using the tool kit.
- Then you have to wash the area that needs to repair. You can use any cleaning agent.
- Then let it dry.
- Then you have to apply the sealant to the crack.
- Would you mind waiting for it to dry?
- Now reinflate the tire. Keep measuring the pressure.
For External Repair
For external repair, you have to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Let the tire cool down.
- Identify and mark the cracks on the tire surface.
- Then remove the tire from the car or bike.
- The differential step is the degreasing of the tire.
- Now wash the surface by scrubbing.
- Then you have to use the protective agent on the crack. The protective agent is a jelly-like paste.
- Reinflate the tire.
Video Tutorial of Fixing Cracked Tires:
We thought it would be easier for you to understand the process of fixing the cracked tire, so we have included this segment of the video tutorial. Click on the link and watch the complete video without skipping. It will be helpful for you!
Ready To Fix Your Cracked Tire?
Now you have gone through the article and watched the video; it will be a child’s play for you to fix the tire on your own and save your money from spending it on a mechanic. So don’t wait. Go and fix your tire.